Friday, December 14, 2007

Malaria

I got home from the orphanage feeling hot and tired. I headed straight to bed to rest for awhile. While I was sleeping (or attempting to sleep), I started feeling more and more achy, eyes burning, very hot, and just overall - not great. Came downstairs and told my fellow housemates that I thought I had a fever. Took out the themometer and checked - 38.8 C. A bit high. Then Sandra (who's a doctor) asked me if I'd been taking my Doxy (anti-malaria meds). Well...I said....I hadn't. It had been an issue before, last time I was sick, at which time I promised I would start taking it. Unfortunately, that was a promise I broke. I can't actually remember the last time I took my Doxy. Anyway, thankfully she had a test at home. We went upstairs, she poked my finger, got the blood and we let the test sit. Waited a few minutes and it came back invalid. Repeated the process, except this time....the malaria line appeared. NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I did indeed have malaria. Again, thankfully, Sandra had the medication at home so I took it immediately and slept a lot.

After 3 days of feeling less than great, I have fully recovered (almost fully). It was not nearly as bad as it could have been and I'm so thankful we caught it quickly. My word of advice to all who are reading...TAKE THE DOXY!!! It's just stupid not to. Lesson learned. I will be taking it for the next 4 weeks to prevent new infection or a relapse. Again, TAKE THE DOXY!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope you're feeling much better now :-)

sa lone pikin

Sandra's Latest... said...

Ah...very wise words Stef! Your Salone doctor is happy :) The question is- are you actually still taking your Doxy??

Hope you are doing well! Have a very very merry Christmas.

Big hug.